Friday, January 23, 2009

Running the Half....

So, this past Sunday, I followed in the footsteps of my sister Alex and bro. in law, Garrett, and I completed my first half marathon. I know some of you are avid runners and this may seem like small potatoes to you, but it seemed a challenge to me. I actually got in on a whim (registration filled up almost 4 months before the race) but was happy to have a goal to work toward. However, little did I know I could have shown up covered in Under Armor apparel and a "fuel belt" and looked the part without training at all. Instead I came sporting my BYU t-shirt and Pauma Valley hat looking totally uncool. Doesn't matter though.....regardless of my lack of gear, I did okay. When I crossed the finish line, my legs almost froze up immediately, but i was able to drive home and head to church with the fam. It was only later that I was having trouble walking! But, all in all it was fun and I definitely plan on doing another one soon. Any takers for the Houston Marathon 2010??? A girl can dream..... Sorry, I dont have photos.
Oh, in case anyone is interested, I finished the race at 1 hour and 52 minutes. (13.1 miles).

10 comments:

Erin said...

that's awesome! i've never ran more than 3 and 1/2 miles!

abbie said...

i am very impressed ashley. i'm pretty sure i could run like 3 miles and then i'd be walking. the marathon people would probably pick me up in a van when everyone else had finished. (don't they do that??) we are excited to see you guys soon!

Katie M said...

as a non-runner type i definitely know what a HUGE accomplishment this is! i'm winded after 30 min of walking on a treadmill.

and yeah, those fuel belts are so ugly!

Gabe and Christina said...

wow we're impressed! We might have seen you that day. We had to drive by the runners on our way to church. Our chapel is on bering. Hope we can get together soon!

Mindy Burns said...

Awesome Ashley!!!! How about SLC Marathon in April??? And Houston 2010???? Your time is awesome!! I wish we lived closer so we could run together!!! Do you have any pics to post of you on race day?

Adrianne said...

Ash way to go- you always were a great runner! i am super impresed!! And I love that you showed up in your no-fus BYU t-shirt! always loved that about you.

It's Been a Day! said...

I did the math and I'm seriously so impressed. I don't run that fast for one mile! Way to go Ashley. And I heard you got your spin instructor badge. I'm so amazed. You probably read your scriptures and say your prayers everyday. You are totally making me look bad!

Kelley Hauck said...

Totally impressed. How about a triathlon? I'm in for one of those, but it has to be a tropical location so I have an excuse for a vacation too!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ash that's awesome!!! I have always wanted to do something like that....maybe someday I will stop being so lazy! Ha! Considering I haven't done squat since I had Owen I would probably keel over at mile 3 if not sooner! Ha! So proud of you! Miss you guys!

ash said...

Congrats! I am totally inspired! I am with Kelley on the triathlon, maybe we could all just go to Kauai for a girls trip and watch the Iron Man...would that count?!